Sunday, March 16, 2008

Acadia National Park

Other than relax at the farm last week, a few of us also took the time to go to a sliver of Acadia National Park on the Schoodic Peninsula. It's funny how we all went to the cabin to escape the school, and then I needed an escape from the cabin and went to the ocean. The time was well worth it. I don't want to explain the experience with words normally used because I'm afraid of giving an explanation or at least an impression not worthy of the experience. I was fronted with the rawness and beauty of the ocean and the landscape where the water meets solid ground. Driving through the trees, coming to an escarpment of rocks leading into the water. The tide was coming in and the waves were coming in harder. There was no one around for miles, just the three of us that decided to go. We followed the road farther along the coastline of the park and, coming around a bend, found the road opening us up to a small rock beach. The beach was flanked on either side by a corridor of solid, but not terribly high, rock that made up the bulk of the peninsula. It was an area that could have served as a small harbour if the rocks weren't so jagged and the water so violent. The waves were forcing their way in, some of them at least two meters high. Given that I'm a prairie boy and haven't lived by the ocean most of my life, and even with my experience in New Zealand and its fantastic ocean-scape, I don't think I have ever experienced waves that were so tall. The three of us just stood and watched the waves come in. I was trying to take pictures and videos, trying to capture the biggest waves or snap a shot just as one was breaking. Here I took this picture of Katie, with her standing on the rocks, watching the waves come in.

No comments: