Sunday, October 14, 2007

Some Scientific Facts

I think its been three weeks now since I wrote a note, so I its more than about time to write something down. I thought I'd start off with some interesting facts that I've been learning from one of the students here...
Did you know...
~ that you sleep better when its just a little bit colder in your room? Apparently your body temperature is lowest in the morning, when at a restful state. As you work throughout the day the body temperature increases as kinetic energy increases. At the end of the day when you want to go back to sleep, to bring your body to a restful state again the temperature needs to be lower. Optimal temperature is 18 degrees!
~ that elephants are the only mammal that cannot jump. Yes, thats right. And for anyone who knows the "Miss Mary Mack" clapping game song... yeah, the song is wrong.
~ you only breath out of one nostril at a time.

So two weeks ago the student population lost about half of its number as the Asia study abroad student left for their term away. They will be spending time in South East Asia (Philippines,
Malaysia, Thailand and Hong Kong I think are the main places) touring with a prof, working on assignments related to their travels and I'm sure having some amazing experiences. It is one of the two study abroad terms that has a part in the BA program here. So, the school has been feeling a bit emptier the last couple weeks, but the first years have been bonding well.

I want to be able to describe more of what I've been up to, but there isn't a whole lot to say. Most of the time during last few weeks I've spent cooped up with my books and my computer. Tonight we played some good 'ole hard hittin rugby. Ok, it was full contact in a sense... but it wasn't full on, there were girls playing so we couldn't hit too hard, but when it came the boys we could hit a bit harder. Good times, good relief from the stresses of a student, and no-one was injured this time either! What a success!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ray, we loved your facts over here at the westside..... looking forward to more.
Sherrie & Adrienne