Wednesday, September 12, 2007

First weekend experience in NB


hey all,
I'm pretty well settled out here in New Brunswick and starting to get into classes now. I thought it would be neat to try this blog thing out and write one interesting thing each week and, therefore, let you know some of what's happening in my life.

I'll start with my weekend. This last weekend a bunch of students from the University out here went to an island in NB called Campebella Island. It's interesting for a couple reasons. First, in order to get there by car you have to drive through Maine. It's so close to Maine that you can actually drive across a bridge onto the island (and then promptly have a border crossing, which is funny for an island so small), but it takes about an hour and a half of driving just to get there! Second, this island is where Franklin D. Roosevelt and his family went to stay during the summer months at their summer cottage. It is still there, furniture, pictures, cups, silverware and all, and it is open to the public to take a walk through.

We also visited an old lighthouse, only accessable after a short scramble over rocks and boulders during lowtide. A few of the students saw a whale and a few more of us saw a sea lion. Pretty cool. The scenery and company was just great, taking it all in and enjoying the adventure of getting to meet new people and do new things. The area that we were in would be considered part of the Bay of Funday, and we could see some islands and mainland in the distance. The picture posted is of the lighthouse on the island.

Well, thats it for now. I need to get some reading done for my classes. I'll try to give more of an inside scoop on the school and classes the next chance I have some time.

No comments: